Saturday, April 5, 2008

Our very first AKC show

The weather could not have been much worse today than it was. It was horrible. "Froggy" as my son calls it, gray, and that yucky rain. Not the hard downpour or the gentle rains you don't mind listening to. The yucky middle ground rain that is just miserable. There is red clay underneath the grass, and because of the amount of rain that we've received since yesterday added to the numerous cars, motor homes and RV's that were driving around the show site, it was all churned up and just a big mud pit mess. Thankfully, I was able to keep Leo out of the mud. My car was not so lucky however. Oh well....
Our day went pretty good. The judging was running late, which was not helping my nerves or the feeling of doom that I had in the pit of my stomach. We were the first ones in to start the judging of the ECS's, so there was some pressure there (at least it felt like it to me). Leo did really well in the ring, and I didn't trip, fall, or stumble, so I think I did pretty well too =) Leo held his stack on both the table and the matting. He only slightly moved his head a little during the exam, but wasn't obnoxious about it. For that, I was most thankful. Leo took 1st place in his class. I guess I should mention that we were the only ones in his class. I look at it like this. At least we weren't excused from the ring! That's where our journey ended for today. We did not place after that. Cosmo's breeder (Mindy) was handling in the 12-18 mos class and she took RWD. WTG Mindy! I do owe Mindy a huge thanks for cleaning up Leo for me where I'd left on too much hair. I was afraid of taking off too much and ending up with a naked dog we couldn't salvage. Leo's breeder, Betty, was there and it was nice getting to see her, and Leo's litter sister, Kit again. They are leaving for the National soon. Wish I was going, but will have to wait til it's closer again for me to be able to go.
Cosmo stayed home and was pampered by the kids. He had a nice hambone to keep him occupied til I got back with Leo. Poor Cosmo kept going around the house looking for him while I was gone, and it was obvious that Leo missed him as well.
Hopefully, it will dry out a little tomorrow so they can run and play outside. Cosmo has had one bath, and Leo's had two this week, and I'm done with bathing them again for awhile (I hope!)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats to you & Leo!!!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you very much! Maybe next time we'll get a little farther along in the process. For our first attempt, I was very pleased though.