Friday, January 4, 2008

Handling Classes


I can't complain a bit about handling classes last night. It was fairly relaxed (even though I only knew 3 people there and they were the ones in charge!) Leo always struts his "stuff" and last night was no exception. He was the youngest one there (next youngest was a H.U.G.E. four months old Bull Mastiff puppy who was not thrilled to be there), and did a really good job of letting us go over him, stack, him, and look at his bite. We had three times in the ring up on the table, and walking around the ring like a judge would ask us to do. In those three times, we had two different "judges", male and female, which I thought was pretty clever to be able to do so the dogs could get used to both sexes poking and prodding on them. Poor Leo was pooped by the end of it all (2 hrs total with one 10 minute break). It started off with him falling asleep, balled up on my foot. I woke him up, and he took two steps towards me, then plopped down again. This time it was on his side, and he was determined it was for good. No amount of talking, and slightly tugging on the leash was going to wake him from his nap. So, I picked him up and he was still sleeping with his head in one hand, while the rest of him was draped in my other hand. Still talking to him (while there were some light hearted snickers in the background), I placed him on the table. In mid motion of being placed on the table, one eye rolled half way open and as I went to set him down, he promptly rolled onto his side. The snickering got louder and I told him that albeit cute, I didn't think it was going to earn him any extra points in the ring. Huge sigh from the little guy, and up he got to be gone over again. Pranced around and out the ring, and out to the car for a super power nap on the ride home.


The instructors there really liked how he looked and how he moved, so I'm really hopeful that he gets to stay at our house. I'm really thinking it will be hard to let him go back and into another home. Fingers are still crossed and silent prayers are still being said, for another 21 days and counting.
And last but definitely not least, poor Cosmo saw me get out the slip lead and the bag that I normally take his agility stuff to class in, and thought that we were going to have some fun together. He was so excited, jumping up and down, then sitting patiently by the door. I felt so bad for him. I told my husband to get one of his special hambones and give it to him in hopes that he would forgive me for leaving him home and taking Leo out with his agility bag. Cosmo wouldn't touch the bone that he would normally chew on til there was nothing left but a few little crumbs. Note to self: be a good doggie mom and get a different bag for handling class so I don't confuse Cosmo.

No comments: