Thursday, January 24, 2008

A little more suspense

Today was T.H.E. day. The day I've been looking forward to, and dreading at the same time. Leo's breeder was going to meet me to go over him and decide his fate. Well, fate can be a funny thing sometimes. Leo is looking good in all of those aspects that are important to conformation showing... but his teeth remind me of the Donkey in Shrek (sorry Leo... sorry Betty)! He's got an odd combo of baby and adult teeth, so we're still playing the wait and see game. I sighed with relief, because I'm really not wanting to face the reality of him going to another home if he doesn't turn out to be show quality (which is the reason I got him in the first place). Now that the shoe is on the other foot and the grass doesn't look as green, I find myself thinking "what the heck is wrong with just keeping him as a pet and loving the little furball like mad??" I also think, "how the heck do people do this as a hobby?" "Do they really want me out there prancing around with a dog on a teeny tiny little show lead?" I'm starting to get sweaty just thinking about going out there and make a fool out of myself! I guess like showing in agility trials, the feeling that you're going to throw up at any given moment passes, and you just find yourself out there doing your thing and enjoying yourself and your dog.
I also did Leo's first real grooming other than a bath, blow dry, and brush out. Let's just say he was less than impressed or thrilled. All the while, Cosmo is longing and inching closer and closer with eyes that are saying "hurry up mama, it's my turn already!" I've been spoiled by Cosmo. He's the only fella I've ever seen who is addicted to being groomed. Pull out a brush, comb, set of clippers or the table and you're done for. He's practically hoisting himself up there so he can be first in line. Maybe Leo will learn from Cosmo that it's cool to be groomed and to look nice and pretty, uh.. manly.

No comments: